Today we tried our hand at Apple Peanut Butter Dog Treats.
I first made this recipe for Ellie for her first birthday back in 2017 and they’ve been a tried and true favorite in our doggo packo ever since.
As a doggo mom, I’m always on the hunt for healthier schmackos to give to my fur baby.
When they’re entertaining and easy to make at home, it is even more motivation to make them myself!
Apple Peanut Butter Doggo Treats
Below is our recipe for you to try!
Remember, homemade doesn’t always mean perfect- HAVE FUN.
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ½ cup Skippy Natural Peanut butter
- 4 cups Oat Flour
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees.
Step 2: Combine 2/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce, ½ cup Skippy Natural Peanut butter, 2 eggs, and 4 cups oat flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Be sure that the natural peanut butter you choose does NOT contain Xylitol– it’s a sugar substitute that is incredibly toxic for doggos.
- Oat Flour is quite difficult and often expensive to find in grocery stores!
If you want to make your own, grind classic rolled oats in a food processor to a fine texture- I use Quaker brand.
Step 3: Mix the ingredients until combined…this is usually when Ellie Pickles joins me in the kitchen for a sniff.
Step 4: Put the dough on the counter and roll out to about a quarter of an inch in thickness.
If your dough begins to stick to the rolling pin, coat it in a bit of oat flour and it should subside.
Step 5: This is my favorite part! Cut out your shapes!
- You can either use a store bought cookie cutter of your choice, or make one of your own out of tin-foil for a budget friendly option.
- If you’re feeling extra ambitious, you can also form the dough into any shape of your choice without a cookie cutter- you can become your own unique cookie designer!
Step 6: Put some parchment paper onto a cookie sheet and transfer your treats onto it. You may need a spatula to transfer the treats form counter to cookie sheet!
Step 7: Bake the apple peanut butter treats in the oven for 20-25 minutes!
Step 8: Allow the treats to cool completely before feeding them to your doggo, and then watch them cronch cronch munch munch to their hearts desire.
This recipe is incredibly fun and rewarding for both you and your pupper.
We hope you enjoy and come back for more recipes…we are certain your dog will want you to!